CHCI Guide to Applying for Financial Aid & Scholarships Bilingual
Nervous about financial aid? Don't be! This guide will provide you with all you need to know about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, or FAFSA, as well as tips on comparing financial aid award letters and information on applying to scholarships. This guide, written in both English and Spanish, is helpful for both students and their parents.
Paying for College
There are many places where you can find more information about financial aid! Here are just a few of the resources you can use to learn how to pay for your college education.
- CHCI NextOpp, an online database of opportunities for Latino students
- College Board CSS/PROFILE® — required for many private schools
- Educators for Fair Consideration (E4FC) Scholarship Guides for Undocumented Students
- FastWeb, a free scholarship search engine
- FAFSA4Caster, a tool to help younger students and families get a jumpstart on their FAFSA and receive an early estimate of their EFC
- FAFSA on the Web worksheet (in Spanish & English)
- Federal Student Aid Information site
- Federal Trade Commission “Scholarship Scams”
- FinAid.org, the Student Guide to Financial Aid
- Financial aid information for undocumented students
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities — click on “Students”
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund: download the publication “Money Manual”
- Hobson’s College View Financial Aid Section
- MALDEF’s list of scholarships open to students regardless of citizenship. Click on “General Scholarships.”
- Mapping Your Future — Paying for School
- NCAA Information on athletic scholarships
- Obtaining a Social Security Number
- Sallie Mae College Answer Free Scholarship Search Engine
- U.S. Department of Education PIN registration site
Before you get to college, it's important to learn the basics of saving money, budgeting, and making smart choices. Check out the resources below to learn more about financial literacy basics.