Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the R2L® NextGen Program?
- When is it?
- Who is eligible?
- What if I don't live or attend high school in one of the identified regions?
- How much does it cost?
- Will there be chaperones?
- What will I need for my application?
- When is the application deadline?
- What will students do in Washington, D.C.?
- Who should I contact if I have more questions?
CHCI will bring high school students from across the nation to Washington, D.C. to spend five days learning about how the Federal Government works, meeting important leaders, visiting historic sites and developing a deeper understanding of how they can affect positive change in their communities and their nation.
The program will take place July 23-28, 2017 in Washington, D.C.
Students who wish to apply must:
- Be a current 11th grade student
- Demonstrate interest in learning more about civic engagement
- Reside in one of the following geographic regions identified for eligibility, including:
Atlanta • Central Valley of California • Chicago • Dallas/Fort Worth • New York City• Phoenix • Puerto Rico • Raleigh • San Antonio • Southern California • South Florida • San Jose
Click on the city where you live to learn more about the specific eligibility requirements for that region.
All individuals are welcome to apply. However, preference is given to individuals with financial need.
Family members of CHCI Board or Advisory Board Members are prohibited from participating in any of CHCI’s charitable programs (e.g., scholarships, internships, etc.). Applications by such family members will not be considered. Note: “Family members” include the following individuals regardless of whether the relationship is biological or adoptive:
- Immediate family – includes spouse, domestic partner, ex-spouse, parents, siblings, half-siblings, children, stepchildren, grandparents, grandchildren, step-parents, step-siblings
- Related by marriage – includes son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law
- Extended family, either natural or by marriage – includes nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, and first cousin
Unfortunately, students who do not reside or attend high school in a pre-identified region are not eligible to apply for the R2L® NextGen program. Since R2L® NextGen is made possible at no cost to our student participants, applicants are only sought from regions where CHCI has dedicated financial support. This is the sixth year CHCI is hosting the R2L® NextGen Program and new regions are added each year. We hope to be able to continue to grow this program in the future and open it up to more students.
Send us an email at ProgramsR2L@chci.org with your name, high school, city and state. We'll keep you posted about new opportunities as we grow!
If you are an adult, we’d love to bring high school students from your community to D.C., but we need your help to fund this important program. If you are interested in having individuals from your community participate in this program, please contact CHCI at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are willing to work collaboratively to identify partners, businesses, or foundations in your local community that may be interested in sponsoring future Latino leaders.
Back to Top
There is no cost to student participants. Travel, lodging, meals and activities will all be covered through the support of our generous sponsors and CHCI.
Back to Top
CHCI and Close Up staff will supervise students at all times upon their arrival in Washington, D.C. However, chaperones for travel are not provided. Students will not be supervised by any CHCI or Close Up Foundation staff beyond the airport security gate in Washington, D.C. or at any time in their home city.
Schools, districts, or programs are welcome to send a chaperone to participate in the program at their own expense. Contact CHCI for pricing information.
Back to Top
The 2017 application is still open for some cities. Please complete the application that corresponds to where you live.
Applicants will be required to complete the following:
- Your personal information (contact information, demographic information, educational information, emergency contact information)
- Three short essays (see the tips page for details on the essay questions)
- A copy of your transcript
- Contact information for your recommender
- Parent/Guardian Information and Permission Form (download in English or Spanish)
- A resume
Visit our Tips for Applying to the R2L NextGen Program for more helpful hints and to preview the essay questions!
The application deadline is Monday, April 3, 2017 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time.
If you don't live in the Eastern Time Zone, be sure to determine what time that is for you locally! You must complete your application online at apply.chci.org. Access to the application will end at 11:59 pm, so be sure to get everything in!
Back to Top
The program is packed with exciting opportunities for participants to engage with other student leaders, network with Latino professionals, visit historic sites, and learn more about their role as leaders in their communities and the nation. Please note that the entire program is presented in English.
Click here for a sample schedule of the week's events.
Back to Top