Tips for Applying
To apply for the program, you must complete and submit the following items:
The application profile will ask for basic information such as your name, contact information, and information about your parents. The information you enter here will give you your username and password to the CHCI website. Make sure you enter everything correctly and use an email address that you have access to - you will need to verify your email address in order to continue the application!
Letter of Recommendation
We require one letter of recommendation from an individual who you worked closely with at school, in a community service setting, or a professional environment. An example of the appropriate persons to complete the form include: teachers, coaches, guidance counselors, school principals and assistant principals, religious leaders or youth organization program staff. This individual must be able to speak to your work ethic, character and leadership skills. A letter of recommendation should not come from a family member.
Once you provide and submit your recommender's name and contact information, an email will be sent to your recommender. They will then be instructed to log on to a website where they will be able to upload and submit their letter of recommendation. Make sure you input their email address correctly! If it is incorrect, they will not receive notification.
Tips for the letter of recommendation:
- Ask the right person. Make sure it's someone who knows you well and can talk about what kind of person you are.
- Ask early. Give them at least one month to complete the letter of recommendation. Remember, applications are due on Monday, March 14 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time!
- Explain the process. Let your recommender know they will receive an email from CHCI with a link to complete the recommendation. Make sure you get their correct email address.
- Want more information about the Letter of Recommendation? Join us for a webinar on February 3 to get assistance! Click here to learn more and register.
Parent/Guardian Information and Permission Form
CHCI requires that all students who apply to the program receive permission from their parents/guardian to submit an application for the R2L NextGen program. You can download this form in English or Spanish, depending on what your parents are more comfortable with.
You can also download the form from the application. Once your parents or guardians complete the form, it can be uploaded to the application along with the resume and transcript. Back to the top
Three Short Essay questions
CHCI requires that all R2L NextGen applicants briefly answer three questions about the following topics: an issue of importance in your community, a challenge that you have faced, and how your Hispanic heritage has influenced who you are today. Each essay answer must not exceed 300 words and should address each topic within the question.
Below are the three essay questions in full:
- Please write a letter to your Member of Congress and address a policy issue of importance to you. Be sure to include why you feel this issue is important, and describe possible solutions that could improve the problem. When possible, please include personal examples of how this issue has affected you or people that you know. (Maximum 300 words).
- How has your Hispanic heritage helped shape the individual you are today? Consider your family structure. family history, community involvement, educational and cultural experiences, etc. (Maximum 300 words).
- Briefly describe an overwhelming challenge that you, a family member, or a friend have faced. What happened? How did you/they respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response? (Maximum 300 words)
We are looking for an essay that will help us know you better as a person and as a student. Your essays will be judged on how you are able to organize thoughts and express yourself, NOT on your opinions.
Tips for completing your essay:
- Be yourself. The selection committee wants to hear about what is important to YOU. There are no right or wrong answers, so do not write about what you think people will want to read - write about what is important to you.
- Edit carefully. Watch out for grammatical errors and typos. Have a teacher or counselor review your essay to help you catch mistakes and make sure it flows nicely.
- Share your story. Is there a reason why the issue you selected is important to you? Tell us why! Have you or someone you know been affected by the issue? Is it impacting your school or your community? Personal examples let the selection committee learn more about you.
Want more tips on the essay? Join us for a webinar on January 27 to get insight into how to write an essay that stands out. Click here to learn more and register.
You will be asked to upload a copy of your transcript. Remember that a report card is not the same as a transcript. You will need to speak with your school counselor to find out the procedure for requesting a transcript at your high school.
You will need to scan a copy of your transcript to upload it to the application website. If your school does not have a scanner, please send CHCI your transcript to:
Attention: R2L NextGen Program
1128 16th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20036
All applicants need to upload a copy of their resume. Make sure your resume includes your name and contact information.
Tips for Creating Your Resume:
If you do not have a resume, you may upload a list of your extracurricular activities. However, it's a great time to start putting together your resume! This document – which tells the reader about your classes, activities, and any work experience you might have – will be critical in the college application process, and can also help you if you are looking for a part-time job.
You can also join us for a webinar on February 3 to learn more about how to put your activities and responsibilities in the right format. Click here to learn more and register.
This may sound intimidating, but it's not - you'll just verify that you told the truth on your application and understand who is eligible to participate. Back to the top
Still have questions? Contact us at programsR2L@chci.org or 202-543-1771.
- Submit your application! Get started today - you can save your progress as you complete all the steps. Applications must be submitted by 11:59 pm Eastern time on Monday, March 14, 2016.