CHCI-SHRM Scholar Intern Program
The CHCI-SHRM Scholar Intern program allows undergraduate and graduate students to not only receive monetary support for their education, but also gain hands-on experience in the human resources field through a paid internship during summer 2017. Click here to apply!
During Summer 2017, CHCI and the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) will award up to five paid internships in at SHRM member organizations. Internships will be available in:
- Chicago, IL
- Dallas, TX
- Greater Los Angeles/Orange County, California
The CHCI-SHRM Scholar-Intern program is designed to allow students who are interested in learning more about the Human Resources field to gain first-hand experience with the day-to-day responsibilities and functions of a human resources department. Both individuals who are committed to a career in human resources and those interested in learning more about the field are encouraged to apply.
Interns are expected to work full time during summer 2017, and will be compensated at $15 per hour (for undergraduate students) or $19 per hour (for graduate students). Exact hours and start/end dates may vary slightly based on where you complete your placement.
Please click here to review a job description for the internship placements. Placements will be announced shortly.
Want to learn more about the CHCI-SHRM Internship experience? Visit the SHRM website to read a blog post from 2016 Scholar-Intern Mayra Ramirez!
Please Note: You must reside in community where your internship is located during Summer 2017 to be eligible for the scholar-intern program. as SHRM, the host organizations, and CHCI do not offer housing or transportation. Scholar-interns must have their own housing that is close enough to get themselves to work on time each day.
Selection as a CHCI-SHRM Scholar Intern provides students with a one-time scholarship of $2,500 to pursue their degree. Scholarship awards are intended to provide assistance with tuition, room and board, textbooks, and other educational expenses associated with college enrollment.
Scholar-interns will receive their scholarship divided into two checks during the 2017-2018 school year after they have completed their internship; one check for $1,250 in the fall and one check for $1,250 in the spring. In order to receive their checks, scholar-interns must submit a verification of full-time enrollment. CHCI manages the disbursement of the scholarships. Successful completion of the internship is required in order to receive scholarship funds.
Selection as a CHCI-SHRM Scholar Intern is based on a combination of the following criteria:
- Full-time enrollment in an accredited four-year university located in the United States or Puerto Rico for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Open to undergraduates of sophomore standing or higher or graduate students. All applicants must have at least one year of full-time enrollment remaining in their program.
- Individuals that will graduate in May/June 2017 are NOT eligible for the CHCI-SHRMScholar Intern Program
- A declared major in business or human resources, or interest in the field of human resources.
- Demonstrated financial need
- Consistent, active participation in public and/or community service activities
- Strong writing skills
- Housing and transportation in the close to the internship placement during summer 2017
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, asylees, or individuals who are lawfully authorized to work full-time without restriction for any U.S. employer and who, at the time of application, possess lawful evidence of employment authorization.
NOTE: Individuals who are seeking consideration under the “Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival” (DACA) policy must possess an Employment Authorization Document at the time of application
Application Check List
- Application Profile
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Completed Scholarship Application:
- Two essay questions (Suggested Length: 300 words minimum; 600 words maximum)
- Resume (1-2 pages)
- Complete copy of most recent Student Aid Report (SAR) with Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number clearly shown
- Legal Agreement
Visit apply.chci.org to complete an online application.