What is the R2L® NextGen Program?
CHCI will bring high school students from across the nation to Washington, D.C. to spend five days learning about how the Federal Government works, meeting important leaders, visiting historic sites and developing a deeper understanding of how they can affect positive change in their communities and their nation.
Who is eligible?
Students who wish to apply must:
- Be a current 10th or 11th grade student
- Demonstrate interest in learning more about civic engagement
- Reside in one of the 50 states, Puerto Rico, or Washington, D.C.
All individuals are welcome to apply. However, preference is given to individuals with financial need.
Family members of CHCI Board or Advisory Board Members are prohibited from participating in any of CHCI’s charitable programs (e.g., scholarships, internships, etc.). Applications by such family members will not be considered. Note: “Family members” include the following individuals regardless of whether the relationship is biological or adoptive:
- Immediate family – includes spouse, domestic partner, ex-spouse, parents, siblings, half-siblings, children, stepchildren, grandparents, grandchildren, step-parents, step-siblings
- Related by marriage – includes son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law
- Extended family, either natural or by marriage – includes nieces, nephews, uncles, aunts, and first cousin
When is it?
Due to continued COVID-19 restrictions and concerns, we have opted to move the 2021 program to remote. The virtual program will begin on Tuesday, July 6, 2021 and end on Friday, July 30, 2021. Participants will join CHCI for programming three (3) days a week for no more than three (3) hours in one day.
We will not have an in-person program in Washington DC this summer.
For additional questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Can I defer to an in-person program next year?
Applicants accepted to the 2021 program are only accepted for that year. Should a student be eligible and wish to apply the following year, they are absolutely allowed to. However, CHCI does not guarantee that a student who defers the virtual program may be accepted for an in-person program the following year.
How much does it cost?
There is no cost to student participants. Travel, lodging, meals and activities will all be covered through the support of our generous sponsors and CHCI.
What will I need for my application?
The 2021 application will launch October 15, 2020.
Applicants will be required to complete the following:
- Your personal information (contact information, demographic information, educational information, emergency contact information)
- Three short essays (see the tips page for details on the essay questions)
- A copy of your transcript
- Contact information for your recommender
- Parent/Guardian Information and Permission Form (Available in English or Spanish)
- A resume
Visit our Tips for Applying to the R2L NextGen Program for more helpful hints and to preview the essay questions!
When is the application deadline?
The application deadline is February 15, 2020 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time. Please note this is much earlier than in previous years – make sure you don’t miss out!
If you don’t live in the Eastern Time Zone, be sure to determine what time that is for you locally! You must complete your application online at apply.chci.org. Access to the application will end at 11:59 pm, so be sure to get everything in!
What will students do in Washington, D.C.?
The program is packed with exciting opportunities for participants to engage with other student leaders, network with Latino professionals, visit historic sites, and learn more about their role as leaders in their communities and the nation. Please note that the entire program is presented in English.
Who should I contact if I have more questions?
We are happy to answer your questions. Please contact email@example.com and we will get back to you soon.