LATINO HILL STAFF ACADEMY
2023 Academy Dates: March – June 2023
Application Deadline: January 24, 2023
As part of our mission to provide leadership, public service, and policy experiences to outstanding Latino students and young professionals, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute is launching its inaugural Latino Hill Staff Academy (LHSA).
This is a non-partisan, bicameral Leadership Program dedicated to the professional and leadership development of Latino/a/x Capitol Hill Staffers, at every role and level, in the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives.
This program serves to bring together participants to experience personal and professional growth opportunities by supporting their leadership development and management skills through both in-person and virtual learning sessions. The academy will provide opportunities to expand your networks as well as engage in professional development opportunities that focus on advancement in your current and future roles both on and off the Hill.
- Define your leadership legacy
- Learn, develop and apply your own genuine leadership through assessments and exploring innovative practices utilized by influential leaders in a modern and changing world.
- Reflect and create a vision for your career and personal growth
- Strategically create a career focused mobility plan based on foundational components such as resume building, enhancing your LinkedIn presence, and crafting your elevator pitch. Gain insights from previous Hill staff, engage in personalized career coaching and increase financial literacy.
- Build Skills to Navigate On and Beyond the Hill
- Increase your influence, impact and management skills to gain a competitive edge in your current and future roles on and off the Hill through skill-based learning strategies that support you in navigating dynamic spaces.
- Connect and build strong networks
- Create authentic professional relationships, connect with innovative leaders and mentors with an array of experiences to grow your network through the exclusive CHCI alumni and program network.
WHEN IS THE ACADEMY
Welcome Reception March 10, 2023 In-Person
Session 1: Day 1 March 11, 2023 In-Person
Session 2: Module 1 March 2023 Self-paced
Session 3: Module 2 April 2023 Self-paced
Session 4: Day 2 TBD In-Person
Session 5: Module 3 May 2023 Self-paced
Session 6: Module 4 June 2023 Self-paced
Session 7: Day 3 June 17, 2023 In-Person
Closing reception: June 23, 2023 In-Person
Please note that this schedule is subject to change. Notice will be given to participants well in advance if any foreseeable changes occur.
WHO SHOULD APPLY
Participants of all levels (e.g. Chief of Staff, Committee Professional Staff, Legislative Assistant, Legislative Correspondent, Staff Assistant, etc.) who:
- Are committed to public service
- Are self-motivated lifelong learners with an open mind
- Are committed to developing their management and leadership skills
- Seek to exchange constructive dialogue with diverse perspectives of other highly motivated individuals that drive purposeful change
- Are self-driven to increase their professional skill sets, to achieve professional excellence and advance their career mobility
The academy is designed to provide hill staffers with content to support their current and future roles. Participants will participate in breakout sessions that will allow for hill staff (i.e., Chief of Staff, Legislative Assistant, etc.) to collaborate with each other and build upon practices.
WHAT TO EXPECT
As part of a cohort, you will:
- Engage in four self-paced online modules and three in-person leadership/professional development sessions over the course of four months
- Hear from panelists and special guest speakers
- Connect with fellow cohort members, current and former congressional staff, and guest speakers to grow your leadership and network
- Participate in mentorship opportunities, both peer mentoring and mentorship with former staff (off the Hill)
- Learn skills to support you in navigating the Hill
- Receive career guidance, as well as resume feedback and coaching
Upon completion of the academy, you will receive a certificate and become part of the CHCI Alumni Association.
This program is being made possible through a grant from General Motors